Mounted photograph of The Crockery
Sepia tint photograph of The Crockery, Letchworth.
This shows the corner of a building with a recessed entranceway supported by three columns. There is a woman standing near to the central column of the entrance. The ground floor is a double-fronted commercial unit, with a sign that reads 'The Crockery Art Pottery China Earthenware'. Displays of shelves holding multiple items can be seen through the glazed windows.
Linnell, Miss Isabelle
Originally from Surrey, Isabelle Linnell first heard about the garden city movement during an informal meeting in London in 1903. It must have left a good impression as the following year she cycled all the way up from London to see the estate! In 1908 Linnell rented a shop in Leys Avenue, to sell leadless glaze pottery, and for a time, socialist George Bates was the manager. Within three years Linnell expanded to larger premises in Station Place and The Crockery continued trading until 1935, when she retired.